The Sunrise Foundation Board and planned giving program will help secure the future of Sunrise.
What Legacy Will You Leave?
Thank you for your interest in providing for the future of Sunrise Retirement Community. The information you learn about charitable gift planning will demonstrate the benefits for the people you love and your ability to support Sunrise. When you establish a planned gift for Sunrise, you are creating a legacy that will support our important work for years to come.
Ways To Give
Stocks and Bonds
A gift of your securities, including your stocks or bonds, is an easy way for you to make a gift. By making a gift of your appreciated securities, you can avoid paying capital gains tax that would otherwise be due if you sold these assets.
A gift of cash is a simple and easy way for you to make a gift. You will receive a charitable tax deduction that will provide you with savings on this year’s tax return.
A gift of your retirement assets, such as a gift from your IRA, 401k, 403b, pension or other tax deferred plan, is an excellent way to make a gift. By making a gift of your retirement assets, you will help further our work.
A gift of your life insurance policy is an excellent way to make a gift to us. If your life insurance policy is no longer needed or will no longer benefit your survivors consider making a gift and help further our mission.
A gift of your real property (such as your home, vacation property, vacant land, farmland or ranch or commercial property) can make a great gift. If you own appreciated real property, you can avoid paying capital gains tax by making a gift to us.
“It is said that in the act of giving, we receive. Most of us experience the reality of this truism through the eyes of a child, the gratitude of a life changed, or through the vision that is inherent in the spirit of philanthropy.”
-Pokey Jensen, Sunrise Foundation Board
How to Give
A bequest is one of the easiest gifts to make. You designate our organization as the beneficiary of your asset by will, trust or beneficiary designation form.
Charitable Gift Annuity
You transfer your cash or appreciated property to our organization in exchange for our promise to pay you fixed payments (with rates based on your age) for the rest of your life.
Charitable Remainder Unitrust
You transfer your cash or appreciated property to fund a charitable remainder unitrust. The trust sells your property tax free and provides you with income for life or a term of years.
Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust
You transfer your cash or appreciated property to fund a charitable remainder annuity trust. The trust sells your property tax free and provides you with fixed income for life or a term of years.
For more information on planned giving, contact: Director of Fund Development, 712-276-3821 ext. 3157 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit www.leaveamessagesiouxland.org
Planning for the future is all about YOU! Sunrise can help you create a thoughtful estate plan (or review an existing estate plan) that transfers assets to loved ones in a way that is tailored to fit their individual personalities and needs and identifies capital that may be used to support the nonprofit community.
Important General Questions
- What organizations are your favorites? (Those to which you would consider making some type of special gift. YOU get to define “special” gift.)
- Regarding any “special gifts” you might make, do you favor lifetime giving, estate giving or a combination of both?
- To what extent might you want to involve children (or other family/heirs in your philanthropy?
- If today was the day upon which your estate was being distributed, what percentage (or amount) would you direct to charitable causes, and what percentage to children/other heirs?
Typical Gift Planning Examples
- Appreciated Securities and Property instead of cash, consider transferring stocks, bonds, or mutual funds (which you have owned for at least one year) to Sunrise Retirement Community. You can deduct the full, fair market value of the security, and you avoid capital gains tax on the increase in value. In addition, after giving your security to Sunrise Retirement Community, you may choose to buy back an equivalent amount of the security, increasing your “tax basis” in the asset and lessening future capital gains tax exposure. **
- Charitable IRA Rollover if you are age 70 ½ or greater and have an Individual Retirement Account, consider directing your IRA custodian to transfer a gift from your account directly to Sunrise Retirement Community. This transfer does not subject you to income tax like other withdrawals from your IRA. It is a particularly good technique if you DO NOT ITEMIZE deductions on your tax return.
- Endow Iowa Funds
- Donor advised funds
- Life income gifts
- Will bequests
- Life insurance beneficiary provisions
- Qualified plan (IRA, 401k, etc.) beneficiary provisions
- Life Income Gifts