There are 8 treatable & sometimes preventable risk factors for developing dementia.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Monitor your blood pressure & keep it under control. Keep active with daily exercise & eat a healthy diet.
- Diabetes: Maintain a healthy A1c. Keep your blood sugar under control.
- Depression: Take care of your mental health by socializing, doing hobbies & exercising.
- Head Injuries: This causes a greater risk for dementia, if 50 years of age or older.
- Sleep Problems: Lack of oxygen, apnea while sleeping, avoiding the use of a C-PAP or oxygen, if needed can greatly increase the risk of dementia.
- Mid-Life Obesity: Stay on a healthy diet. Maintain a healthy weight.
- Smoking: If you smoke, you have a 30% greater chance of developing dementia with the use of tobacco.
- Heavy Alcohol Consumption: This increases the risk of dementia, as well as strokes.
Maintaining a healthy life-style, weight & mind may not prevent dementia, but can delay its effects.