- Decrease your sodium intake.
- Lose weight, if needed.
- Regular daily exercise.
- Elevate the extremity of edema above the heart level when setting.
- Compression or support stockings can help keep the swelling down but must be put on the first thing in the morning before getting up.
- Do not sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Walking regularly when traveling.
- Avoid extreme temperature changes such as hot baths, showers or saunas.
- Dress warm in cold weather.
A masseuse or Physical Therapist can help remove fluid. Oxygen may treat some forms of edema.
Remember to always see your doctor for any edema to diagnose the underlying cause which will need to be treated.